ABOUT GUELYLAND

"One of the smallest , independent kingdoms in the ciberuniverse. Nothing fancy. Population? Just me, myself and my jaguars, my movies and my books (and, at this very moment, YOU). Hided and secret like Skull Island or Opar, the ancients in Guelyland use to read the scrools of a minor god called Voor-Hes.
Most of the treasures of Guelyland are made of paper, plastic and vinyl.Guelyland dreams with expanding in deep more then in surface. The music of Nik Kershaw has been heard here. There are apes, lots of apes in Guelyland. Woody Allen and Bob Hope visit it quite often. Here we love books (the Kingdoms Library is both celebrated and secret) Here we are atheists but very tolerant and think of god a bit too often and much. Guelyland is, the stuff my dreams are made of..."

PEOPLE WITH TASTE. YOU CAN BE ONE OF THEM!!

Sunday, April 19, 2009

SHOLAY


The ultimate curry-western, Sholay (Ramesh Sippy,1975) is fun, naive, cool and entertaining in a very bollywoodian way. A real massala (a film with everything in, like some food). I don't need to speak hindi or be born in Bombay to be able to watch many times this movie and be happy for it. If some one told me that the two main characters were real friends since their childhood i wouldn't have any reason to doubt it because so good is the chemistry between them. I think this movie was the one for Amitabh Bachchan. Dharmendra was already a star (hence, the first billing). Amjad Khan, as usual plays the man you will love to hate (but this was his first time!). The locations are beautiful, and at least the song on the motorcycle (see the clip at the "magic moments" box on the right side of this scroll) is, for this guelylander, unforgettable. We can see the Sergio Leone influence (Once Upon the Time in the West) and even some Kubrick touch with the fascist prison boss (like the one in Clockwork Orange) and of course, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. The train scene is quite memorable as an action piece and the chase of Basanti (Hema Malini) by the dacoits is no much less. Especially after she begs her loyal horse "Run as you never before, this time is for my chastity!"
To a Bollywood fan you don't ask Have you seen it? but how many times !
Gabbar Singh the bad guy asks to the stoic "sheriff" Thakur:
"How do you plan to fight me Thakur? I've long cut off, and discarded, your arms. "
"One uses their feet to crush a snake Gabbar, not the hands. " Right answer...

4 comments:

Bhavishya Goel said...

Wow! I always thought that a masala film like Sholay is only for Hindi speaking Indians and it will lose out of innumerable counts when translated to any other language, especially English. But your liking for the movie and your review comments, proved me wrong.

Guely of Sweden said...

Maybe we loose some but one can still get a lot! Acting, locations, dances, music, and then the story is kind of universal in someways exception been made for some local details, but even those are interesting to know about, like that colour festival! I'm born in Peru but i like many different cultures!All of them are basically human and the same thing, you know. :)

DPhatsez said...

I'm really amazed that a foreigner could like a Hindi movie so much!
You share the same enthusiasm that we all had when we grew up watching the movie.

True to your statement, its not 'have we' but 'how many' times :) (i've seen it 6 times)

'Yeh Dosti' is also one my fav songs :)

Nice!

Guely of Sweden said...

Well,in Lima(Perú)were I was born we use to have two cinemas (City Hall and Metropolitan) tha only showed Indian movies and my girlfriend (she is from Estonia)and one of her idols since she was a teen was Amitabh Bachchan. And one of my daughter(she is jewish-swedish) favorite movies is Kuch Kuch Hota Hai!

WATCH ME, WATCHING YOU WATCHING ME

Related Posts with Thumbnails