ABOUT GUELYLAND

"One of the smallest , independent kingdoms in the ciberuniverse. Nothing fancy. Population? Just me, myself and my jaguars, my movies and my books (and, at this very moment, YOU). Hided and secret like Skull Island or Opar, the ancients in Guelyland use to read the scrools of a minor god called Voor-Hes.
Most of the treasures of Guelyland are made of paper, plastic and vinyl.Guelyland dreams with expanding in deep more then in surface. The music of Nik Kershaw has been heard here. There are apes, lots of apes in Guelyland. Woody Allen and Bob Hope visit it quite often. Here we love books (the Kingdoms Library is both celebrated and secret) Here we are atheists but very tolerant and think of god a bit too often and much. Guelyland is, the stuff my dreams are made of..."

PEOPLE WITH TASTE. YOU CAN BE ONE OF THEM!!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

MY MUSICAL CULTS

Harder then finding movies (that we all may like) are books and harder then books we all may like are music artists. It seems like musical tastes are more personal. Perhaps because it's just what found us at certain periods of our lives. Generally (but never an iron rule) when we are around 17 If I dare to say. The items showed in these pictures are the pride of my personal collection



Nik kershaw is like my favorite personal musical idol. Since 1982. And still is.

She was a dream girl as much as now she is a dream woman. Germany became more interesting since the late seventies but i didn't noticed (excepting for The Tin Drum) until the 80's. Nena Kerner my cult music friend since 1984.

Bowie, one of the most complete artists of the 20th century. I knew about him since the late 70's cos of his Roeg sci fi movie. And after Let's Dance was one of my favorites. But it wasn't until my cousin Carlos gave me a tape of his earlier carrier (Changes, Five Years, Life on Mars) much later that i said to myself "Let's go and search for some more".

Tomita, Isao Tomita, found me in 1982 when I was reading a lot of science fiction. It was the perfect soundtrack for my imagination. A way to hear classical music and feel like a blade runner at the same time.

One night after coming from a party i recorded some tracks of New Musik from Radio Doble 9. It was 1985. I still have to find someone else that likes this group. Very discret masterpieces, I may say.

I didn't know i liked Squeeze until i came to Europe. Realizing that THIS was the name of the group of so many songs i put on tapes with the name left in blank. The pleasure of finding a new record of them , from time to time, is something i always look after.

I always had the idea that mere pop was a bit too little for Joe Jackson. And time showed me that it was so. He is a versatile artist and can do so many different kinds of things and each one so well. So complete. Just knew him, as many, since Steeping Out.

Duran Duran...Well, I WAS Simon LeBon, ladies and germs! Made no mistake! At least until the begining of the 90's. After that someone else took my place.

Paul Simon was the guy that made music that broke the generation gap between me and my father. We could tap his music together on my way to the school. Talking prehistory here, middle seventies, that is.

I never gave a bean for not enjoying so much "classical music" as long as I always had the serious Mr. Herrmann with me. He suits me perfectly. I know i have good taste as long as I love his work and i don't think that it will ever change.

Another very personal group. Everytime i hear Roddy Frame singing it reminds me of myself.

And i won't forget Sinatra, Prima, Serrat, Wendy Carlos, Human League, Big country, Ultravox, The Alarm, Heaven 17 and The Thompson Twins.

2 comments:

Valentín VN said...

Nice eighties music. I enjoyed the post a lot.

Guely of Sweden said...

Thank you Valentin VN!! That's something i always will be happy to hear!

WATCH ME, WATCHING YOU WATCHING ME

Related Posts with Thumbnails