ABOUT GUELYLAND

"One of the smallest , independent kingdoms in the ciberuniverse. Nothing fancy. Population? Just me, myself and my jaguars, my movies and my books (and, at this very moment, YOU). Hided and secret like Skull Island or Opar, the ancients in Guelyland use to read the scrools of a minor god called Voor-Hes.
Most of the treasures of Guelyland are made of paper, plastic and vinyl.Guelyland dreams with expanding in deep more then in surface. The music of Nik Kershaw has been heard here. There are apes, lots of apes in Guelyland. Woody Allen and Bob Hope visit it quite often. Here we love books (the Kingdoms Library is both celebrated and secret) Here we are atheists but very tolerant and think of god a bit too often and much. Guelyland is, the stuff my dreams are made of..."

PEOPLE WITH TASTE. YOU CAN BE ONE OF THEM!!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Happiness on my shelves



When I was a kid, my old man used to tell me "when i was your age there was no TV" (nowadays i tell my daughter the PC, cellphone, DVD version of the same). And yes, a good deal of happy hours of my childhood were expended in front of the tube. Well, big deal, who hasn't! It was free,it was safe (with that neutral mexican dubbing that I like so much) and, for this peruvian kid of the seventies: it was in black and white.

Star Trek (TOS), The Six Million Dollar Man, Lost in Space, The High Chaparral, Columbo, The Fugitive, The Twilight Zone, The Persuaders, Bewitched, Superman, One Step Beyond... you name it. Funny, how older then me most of those heroes were then. Funny how younger look most of them now.

With a friend at work we use to talk about happiness and childhood. And i keep telling him how is possible to buy back those many hours of happiness and have them in shelves ready to revive them at will. No matter what media you prefer (call me old fashion but I still dig DVD). Maybe not quite with the same innocence of a ten year old boy, maybe in color (although i gotta confess that sometimes I go 11 for nostalgia and turn the rainbow to zero) the happiness kick is still there and even if I am aware now, the suspension of disbelief works perfectly. I can believe again in Steve Austin going faster when in slow motion or in a well placed vulcan pinch for my cousin. And for a while I can be "Little Guely" (Guelyto) instead of Miguel or "Daddy". For a while i can awake from the pass and get back in me the kid that doesn't have to go to work but delaying his schoolwork. The one that doesn't shave. The one that only need to ask for money or clothes. The one that has to wait one week for the next chapter of Columbo. The one that is in love with incredible older women called Emma Peel or Samantha. The one that like to walk the streets alone looking for a one armed man and afraid of the police. The one that dream with the day when kissing Captain Kirk style may be possible. Kid dreaming being a man dreaming being a kid.

No comments:

WATCH ME, WATCHING YOU WATCHING ME

Related Posts with Thumbnails